[This post originally appeared, written in German, four years ago.]
When Sarah and I returned to her apartment after a week out of town recently, everything seemed to be in order, at first. Only when we wanted to use the oven a few hours later did we notice what had… accumulated inside.
Eight days earlier we had made pizza. And eaten it, too. All but two slices. Those were left in the oven, to be consumed at a later time, by us, or one of her roommates. Everybody likes free pizza, even when it’s cold.
And maybe they would have liked it, if they had found it. But they didn’t use the oven once over the next eight days.
My first thought upon seeing what was inside the oven was that someone had put a fluffy pillow in it for some reason. But then I noticed the spores coming off it and quickly realized what had happened.
I furnished a makeshift surgical mask out of towels and a bomb mold-removal kit out of two nested garbage bags and disposed of pizza, plate, and tray, while the oven was cleansed with vinegar and every single drop of cleaning fluid we could muster up.
So next time you leave the house for a couple of days… check the oven.